There are several types of Maine Coon cats, which can vary based on factors such as coat color, size, and breed lineage. Here are some of the most common types of Maine Coon cats:
- Classic or American Maine Coon: This is the traditional type of Maine Coon cat recognized by most cat associations. They are typically medium to large and have a broad head, bushy tail, and long, shaggy coat.
- European Maine Coon: This type of Maine Coon cat is typically larger and more muscular than the American variety, with a thicker coat and more prominent facial features.
- Polydactyl Maine Coon: This type of Maine Coon cat has extra toes on one or more of its paws, according to VCA Animal Hospital, which can give them a distinctive appearance and make them more adept at activities such as climbing or catching prey.
- Show Quality Maine Coon: These Maine Coon cats have been bred specifically for their conformation and physical appearance and are typically entered into cat shows or used for breeding purposes.
- Non-Show Quality Maine Coon: These Maine Coon cats are not typically bred or shown for their physical appearance but are still beloved pets for their friendly and affectionate personalities.
- Mix Breed Maine Coon: These cats are not purebred Maine Coons, but have Maine Coon ancestry in their lineage. They may exhibit some of the traits and characteristics of a Maine Coon, but may not meet the breed standard for conformation or coat type.
Common Maine Coon Color Patterns
Brown tabby is the most common color pattern for Maine Coon cats. It features a brown coat with black stripes or swirls. The brown color can vary from a light caramel brown to a dark chocolate brown. The black stripes can be thin or thick and have a distinct “bullseye” pattern on the sides of the cat’s body. The pattern is unique to each cat, making them easily identifiable. Brown tabby Maine Coon cats are loved for their stunning, wild appearance and affectionate personalities.
Silver tabby is another common color pattern for Maine Coon cats. It features a white or silver coat with black stripes or swirls. The black markings can be thin or thick and have a distinct “bullseye” pattern on the sides of the cat’s body. The silver tabby pattern is known for its elegant and refined appearance and is often seen in cat shows and competitions.
Silver tabby Maine Coon cats are known for their intelligence, affectionate personalities, and playful nature, make great family pets, and are often easy to train.
Black Maine Coon cats are less common than tabby or tortoiseshell cats, but they are still a popular color choice. Black Maine Coons have solid black coats with no visible stripes or patterns, and their coats are often described as velvety and shiny, and their eyes can range from green to gold.
Black Maine Coon cats are known for their regal and mysterious appearance and are often associated with good luck and prosperity in some cultures. They are also known for their playful, friendly, and intelligent personalities, making them great companions for families and individuals.
Orange Maine Coon cats have a solid reddish-orange coat. This color is often referred to as “red” or “orange,” depending on the intensity of the color. The coat color can vary from light ginger to a deep, fiery red.
Red or orange Maine Coon cats are known for their friendly and outgoing personalities, as well as their love of attention. They are often described as “gentle giants” due to their large size and affectionate nature, Red or orange Maine Coons are also known for their intelligence and playful demeanor and are often trained to perform tricks and tasks.
Cream Maine Coon cats have solid cream-colored coats. The cream color can vary from pale ivory to a warm, buttery shade. Cream Maine Coon cats are known for their gentle and affectionate personalities, as well as their playfulness and intelligence.
They are often described as “lap cats” because they love cuddling and spending time with their owners. Cream Maine Coons are also known for their loyalty and devotion to their families, making them great companions for people of all ages.
Tortoiseshell Maine Coon cats have a coat that features a mix of black and orange or red fur, often with some white accents. The black and orange areas can vary in size and pattern, making each cat’s coat unique. Tortoiseshell Maine Coon cats are known for their independent and strong-willed personalities, but they can also be affectionate and loving with their owners.
They are often described as “sassy” or “feisty” and are known for their playful and energetic nature. Tortoiseshell Maine Coons can have a strong bond with their owners, but they can also be vocal and demanding when they want attention.
Blue Maine Coon cats have a solid blue-gray coat ranging in shades from light, silvery-blue to a deep, slate blue. Their coats can have a silver or white undercoat, giving them a shimmering or iridescent appearance.
Blue Maine Coon cats are known for their calm and laid-back personalities, as well as their affectionate and loving nature. They are often described as “gentle giants” due to their large size and easy-going temperament. Blue Maine Coons are also known for their intelligence and loyalty, and they can form strong bonds with their owners.
Calico Maine Coon cats have a coat that features a mix of black, orange or red, and white fur. The colors are usually well-defined and appear in random patches or spots. Calico Maine Coons can have different variations in their coat patterns, but they always feature a mix of three colors. Calico cats are known for their unique and striking appearance, as well as their strong personalities. They are often described as sassy, playful, and energetic, with a strong will and an aggressive attitude.
Calico Maine Coons are also known for their intelligence and independence, but they can also be affectionate and loving with their owners. They enjoy attention and love to play, making them great companions for people of all ages.